Semi-Pure Growth Diet SF21-166, a modified AIN-93G using sodium caseinate in place of lactic acid casein as protein source.
This diet is based on a formulation developed by the American Society of Nutritional Sciences: ASNS (formerly American Institute of Nutrition). The Diet AIN-93G was a modification of a prior formulation AIN-76A. This well studied diet was updated to separate maintenance from growing animals and improve the long term health of rodents fed semi-pure diets. The original specifications uses lactic acid casein as the protein source. This diet replaces lactic acid casein with sodium caseinate. The mineral salt additions have been changed to minimise mineral differences in the final diet.
- The formulation for AIN-93G and AIN-93M was first presented in Journal of Nutrition., 123:1939-51, November 1993,
- AIN93G is the growth form of this standard pure or semi-pure diet formulation.
- Sodium chloride has been removed from the diet. All sodium present is from the sodium caseinate.
- Potassium chloride has been added to maintain the chloride content of the diet.
- Potassium citrate has been removed and an adjustment in Potassium dihydrogen phosphate made.
- We have made some modifications of the formulation to suit locally available raw materials. Our experience in short and long term feeding trials confirms that these modifications have little or no impact on animal performance.
- Cystine in the original formulation has been replaced by methionine. Although casein has a low cystine content, there is good evidence of interconversion of methionine and cystine.
- Soybean oil has been replaced by Canola oil. While this changes the fatty acid profile of the diet all known requirements have been met. The biggest difference between soybean and canola oils is in the linoleic and linolenic acid content. Although canola oil has a lower linoleic acid content (a known essential fatty acid) it could be argued that the n6 / n3 fatty acid ratio of canola oil is superior to soybean oil. The erucic acid content of canola oils available in Western Australia is extremely low.
- Some minor modifications have been made in the salt form of the trace minerals.
- If your intention is to irradiate this diet at 25 Kg we recommend that you consider SF09-091
Keywords: pure diet, semi-pure diet, control diet, growth, AIN93G, AIN, AIN93, AIN-93G