SF00-221 1% Cholesterol Guinea Pig and Rabbit
A fixed formulation diet based on our Guinea Pigs and Rabbits pellets with 1% Cholesterol added for use in atherogenic model systems.
- This diet has been used by several research groups inducing heart disease in several rabbit strains. Arteriosclerotic plaques are usually evident within ? weeks
- The diet is manufactured as a 4 mm diameter pellet, 4 – 10 mm long
- A suitable control diet is Guinea Pig and Rabbit pellets
- The diet is packed in 5 Kg oxygen impermeable bags under Nitrogen, bags are then packed in cartons to protect them during transit
- If the diet is to be autoclaved, the recommended conditions are: Autoclave at 120O C for 20 minutes with a post autoclaving vacuum drying cycle. Some clumping of the diet can be expected, but the diet clumps can usually be easily broken. Modifying the drying time to leave some residual moisture in the diet can minimize the clumping. Do not autoclave at 1350 C as this will result in significant clumping that will be difficult to break. It must be remembered that cholesterol is likely to be degraded by autoclaving.
Keywords: cardiovascular disease model, atherosclerosis, high fat rabbit diet, high cholesterol diet, hypercholesterolemia, atherosclerotic lesions,