SF00-218 5% Peanut Oil 0.5% Cholesterol 1% Methionine Guinea Pig and Rabbit
A fixed formulation diet based on our Guinea Pigs and Rabbits pellets with 5% Peanut Oil, 0.5% Cholesterol and 1% Methionine added.
- The diet is manufactured as a 4 mm diameter pellet, 4 – 10 mm long
- The diet is packed in 4.5 Kg oxygen impermeable bags under Nitrogen, bags are then packed in cartons to protect them during transit
- This diet has been used by several groups to induce atherosclerotic plaques in rabbits.
- A suitable control diet is Guinea Pig and Rabbit pellets
- If the diet is to be autoclaved, the recommended conditions are: Autoclave at 120O C for 20 minutes with a post autoclaving vacuum drying cycle. Some clumping of the diet can be expected, but the diet clumps can usually be easily broken. Modifying the drying time to leave some residual moisture in the diet can minimize the clumping. Do not autoclave at 1350 C as this will result in significant clumping that will be difficult to break. It must be remembered that cholesterol is likely to be degraded by autoclaving.
Keywords: atherosclerosis, high fat rabbit diet, high cholesterol diet, hypercholesterolemia, hyperhomocysteinemia