SF01-027 Low Zinc Semi Pure Rodent Diet
A semi-pure diet formulation for laboratory rats and mice based on AIN-93G.
- Zinc content has been reduced by excluding any additions in the trace mineral premix.
- A considerable quantity of zinc is present as trace level contaminants in the casein, starch and cellulose. The calculated zinc concentration of this diet is around 20 mg / Kg. Analyses confirm this concentration.
- At this concentration it would exceed the generally recognized maintenance and growth requirements for most strains of mice and rats. However zinc requirements during lactation and pregnancy are thought to be around 30 mg / Kg.
- It should be possible to further reduce dietary zinc concentration by careful selection of casein, starch and cellulose sources or finding alternative protein and carbohydrates.
- Feed is manufactured as a 12 mm diameter cube, vacuum packed.
- A suitable control diet is AIN93G or AIN93M
Keywords: zinc deficient, zinc deficiency